Thursday, November 19, 2015

Questions Worth Asking About Advance Directives And Living Wills (part 2 of 2)

Why are they important?

By making advance directives and living wills as early as possible, you are expressing you preferences with regard to medical treatment before you are faced with a severe injury or disease. Doing so will spare your family and friends the pressure of deciding what is really best for you. More often than not, the legal age qualified to make these documents is 18 years old.

Seriously ill people are more likely to draw up these legal documents in advance. For instance, a person with a terminal cancer may write her wish not to be hooked to a respirator in case of a respiratory arrest. This act can lessen the patient's suffering, promote his or her peace of mind, and increase control over his or her death.

Then again, even if you're still in an excellent health condition, you may want to think about making your own advance directive. Who knows for sure? You may encounter a terrible accident or unexpectedly collapse on your way to work. If you have thought of these possibilities and have decided to do the right thing, then you can rest assured that your wishes will be respected and implemented by your health care provider.

How to make them?

An advance directive and living will don’t necessarily have to be complex legal documents. They can simply be short statements concerning your health care preferences in case your ability to communicate is gone. Keep in mind that any request you write down should conform to the laws of your state.

You can write these documents in a number of ways. First is by using a form that supplied by your physician. You may also put your requests in writing all by yourself. Aside from that, you also have the option to ask for the appropriate form from the health care department of your state.

With the technology of the modern world, you may even get hold of free online living will forms. Some web sites also sell software packages for all types of legal documents.

Then again, if you want to do it the traditional way, then you can confer with a lawyer who handles advance directives and living wills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment